Friday, November 11, 2016

Thanks For Serving

As you probably have been well aware, today is Veterans' Day.  Today I called a particular veteran I know.  

Over the years, he and I have had some rather contentious and heated political discussions.  He and I agree right on target on certain issues, sometimes for the same reasons.  On other matters we share similar concerns but voice those concerns differently in how we vote.  On still other political questions we are diametrically opposed in our views, opinions which each of us vehemently hold.  

We had a lovely and warm conversation.  He thanked me for calling him and wishing him a Happy Veterans' Day and thanking him for serving.  

During the course of the conversation, he caused me to realize how he and I have influenced each other over the years.  He helped me to see how we have led each other to shift our beliefs and behavior.  

He shared with me how he walked into various stores today and was offered complimentary food and beverages because he is a veteran.  As he shared his day with me, and how he was honored because of his service as a veteran, I recalled a homeless vet I know, who I'll call "Ken."  I mentioned to him this homeless vet Ken who has been struggling.  I broke down into tears as I related over the phone how Ken had said some things about himself which troubled me.  

During our phone conversation today, I was comforted by this vet I had called.  He said very little in response when I shared about Ken, but he didn't need to say much.  He just gently soothed me as he listened.  

Later, after we got off the phone, as I was out and about, I crossed paths with Ken.  It had been longer than usual since I had last seen him.  It was good to see him, and I told him so.  

Ken recalled a day about a week ago when he was upset.  I was sitting with him as he was voicing some frustrations he had.  I was saying almost nothing.  At the time, I thought that I was doing little good.  It didn't seem I was doing, or that I could do, much, if anything at all, to help Ken.  Yet today Ken spoke of that day and said that he was grateful for my help that day.  

How can we make a difficult situation better?  How can we help people who are struggling?  Show up.  Listen.  Be there.  Be a friend.  Give them love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment