Friday, November 25, 2016

Keep Them Out

Here at the Redwood City Catholic Worker House we've got a fabulous friend who shows up here and helps us out.  Here I'll call him "Mack."  Sometimes we call Mack and he gladly comes over and carts away donated items which no one wants.  

Recently I was on the sidewalk in front of the house when Mack was gathering things to haul away.  Completely unrelated to what we had just been discussing, Mack suddenly told me that he has multiple mental health diagnoses.  As he's sharing this personal information with me out in public, he's talking quickly, in an animated fashion.  He's a bundle of energy, yet he channels that seemingly inexhaustible and constant and vigorous flow of energy into jumping forward and assisting others however he can.  I so enjoy being in his presence; I feel like infrequently do I cross paths with such a giving person who always seems to be ready to help out and serve whenever he's asked.  

After Mack had finished loading the unwanted items into the back of his pickup truck, as he's driving down the street, he stops.  He leans out the window.  He calls out to me across the street, "I keep hearing voices.  I don't want to be hearing these voices.  People say to me, 'Why don't you try ear plugs?'  I tell them, 'No!  That'll keep the voices in my head!  I don't want to keep the voices inside my head!'"  

No comments:

Post a Comment