Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Find Him Helpful

This morning I was unloading boxes from the van into the Catholic Worker House.  Each time I returned to the front door it was closed, just as I had left it.  

One of these times I got to the front door and a homeless woman, who again I'll call "Anna," was there on the front porch.  Anna came over to me and asked how she could help.  I requested that she unlock the front door as I handed her the keys.  She not only did so, but once I had gone into the house, she closed the screen door behind me.  I was grateful for her help since I could not easily manage both carrying so much as well as opening and closing the door.  

By contrast, one of the other times when I was at the front door this morning, I was struggling with a stack of boxes.  Anna had left.  A couple of women who did not look homeless were on the front porch, glancing around at available donations that had been left there for anyone to take.  They did not inquire if they could help me in any way, and they departed as I was struggling with what I was handling.  

The homeless woman, the social outcast, was the one who offered me the help I needed.  We can find people willing to help us in those who are the least among us.  We can get help from Jesus in those who are the least among us.*   

* Matthew 25:40,45 

No comments:

Post a Comment