Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Know You Can

Today I overheard a conversation between a homeless drug addict who I'll call "Patsy" and her friend, who I'll call "Dawn."  They were talking about how Patsy was planning on entering a drug rehabilitation program.  It went roughly like this: 

Dawn: Well, it sounds like you're all set to go into this treatment program.  How do you feel about it?  

Patsy: I think I can do it.  

Dawn: I know you can do it.  

Dawn affirmed Patsy.  In encouraging Patsy by telling Patsy that Dawn knew Patsy could successfully work through the treatment program, Dawn showed Patsy the love that Dawn would like to receive.  She seeks to love her neighbor as herself,* as Jesus taught us to do.  

Matthew 22:39; Mark 12:31; Luke 10:27; Leviticus 19:18; Romans 13:9; Galatians 5:14

No comments:

Post a Comment