Friday, September 22, 2017

Love Through Respect

On Friday mornings, in our driveway persons in need line up and get free food.  Thus this morning people here filled their bags with fruits and vegetables and bread and desserts.  

Today after everyone had acquired their food, the leftover food was being brought out of the driveway.  Some was being loaded into the volunteers' cars for them to take home.  Overripe food had been sorted to be added to compost.  

As this leftover food was being carried out of the driveway, I noticed that a woman walking her bicycle on the other side of the street had stopped.  She called out asking if any of us needed any help.  

At this point, a box of brussels sprouts was being brought to a truck.  The box fell to the ground and the brussels sprouts spilled onto the street.  

Suddenly the woman with the bicycle was next to us.  She had grabbed a broom and a standing dustbin and was sweeping the brussels sprouts into the dustbin.  

Soon I was talking with this woman, who I'll call "Melinda."  She quickly offered that she is homeless.  She related that another homeless woman had told her about the Catholic Worker House.  Melinda was asking me about the Catholic Worker House, so I was explaining to her some of the work we do.  

In addition to talking about the Catholic Worker House, Melinda started telling me about herself.  She began to tell me about some of her goals, about how she wants to become a more productive and giving person. She shared that she wants to rise above past experiences she has had.  

During our conversation, Melinda told me that sometimes men immediately make advances to her and expect her to promptly comply.  She explained to me that she rejects such premature propositions made to her.  

I said, "It sounds like you respect yourself."  

She replied, "Yes, that's right.  I respect myself."  

With her bold, confident, self-assured manner, I found Melinda refreshing and relieving.  She put me at ease since I knew I needn't be concerned about her.  I was aware that she takes care of herself.  I was able to relax insofar as I was conscious that she is tending to her own well-being.  

Melinda loves herself.  Loving herself, she is empowered to love her neighbor as herself,* as Jesus taught us to do.  Loving herself, she reassures her neighbor that she is all right, and in giving that reassurance to her neighbor, she is loving for her neighbor and caring for her neighbor.  

When we respect ourselves, we love ourselves, and, consequently, we love our neighbor.  When we respect ourselves, we give the gift of peace of mind to our neighbor and thus we love our neighbor.  

Matthew 22:39; Mark 12:31; Luke 10:27; Leviticus 19:18; Romans 13:9; Galatians 5:14 

No comments:

Post a Comment