Monday, June 5, 2017

Catholic Worker Shenanigans

As I've mentioned in previous blog posts, here at the Redwood City Catholic Worker House, we extend hospitality to guests who stay with us for months.  We just had a new guest move in with us, a college student named Milagros who needed a place to stay for the summer.  We call her "Milo" for short.  

As part of our ministry of hospitality to our guests,  we help them get what they need.  Thus, if any of them needs a car, sometimes a car is donated which they can use.  Our donors know what our guests need, and so generous people often give what our guests need without our even asking.  At other times, we let our donors know that our guests have specific needs.  

One morning recently at the kitchen table, I said to my mentor Larry something like, "Larry, I know this hasn't been in the budget, but we need another set of wheels."  I paused for dramatic effect.  Then I explained, "Milo wants a skateboard."  

On another occasion, my fellow Catholic Worker Aida was frying an egg.  I cautioned her, "You know, Aida, you're going to be embarrassed if you get that egg on your face."  

At the silence which ensued, Larry, who was sitting at the kitchen table, explained, "It's a joke."  Then, after a brief pause, he added, "Aida, the yolk's on you."  

No comments:

Post a Comment